Opinions on GSInet DSL and/or Actiontec DSL modem/router products

Larry Cook lcook at sybase.com
Fri Aug 1 10:55:36 EDT 2003

Travis,

Travis Roy wrote:
>>Dan Jenkins wrote:
>>
>>>Cons:
>>>* No reverse DNS for IP numbers. I've asked. They've never understood
>>>the question.
>>
>>What are the implications of this?
>
> Some FTP sites will not let you connect, some web sites won't let you into
> "secure" information.. For some reason they use the DNS name as proof of
> your location.

Can you give me some example sites?  I will then follow up with them to show
them the problem it causes.

> UGH, Dunbarton has the WORST phone company.. the only place I know of that
> makes a call to the next town (Goffstown, also where the kids go to school)
> is long distance.

I guess it doesn't bother me since my hometown in CT had the same situation,
which has since changed.  I know there was a push in Dunbarton to make
Goffstown toll-free, but I think it would have almost doubled the cost of
residential service.  I know they have various "regional plans" were you pay a
higher rate and get a larger toll-free area, so that is probably what families
with talkitive teens do.

 > They also put the phone lines in such a place on the poll
> that Dunbarton can't get cable.  If the cable lines go above the phone lines
> they are to close to the power lines, if they put the cable lines below the
> phone lines then they are to low on the polls (trucks could hit them).

I've never heard this as reason.  The reason I've always heard for Dunbarton
not having cable is that the Board of Selectmen have always insisted that the
whole town must be wired, not just the high density section near Goffstown and
Weare.  Since a good part of town has 300 foot lot frontage requirements, no
cable company has found it finacially feasable.  Now that a lot of people have
dishes, I doubt we'll ever have cable.

> I've VERY suprised you can even get DSL in Dunbarton

It's one independent phone company teaming up with another (Granite State
which owns GSInet).  And since they've run fiber to remote stations, one is at
the end of my road, most if not all of Dunbarton can get DSL.

Another side benefit of a small independent phone company is that once I
decide to get DSL, they'll be out the next day to hook it up.  How quickly
does Verizon move?!

Larry