Very odd problem - SSL, Virtual Interfaces, and Authorize.net

Travis Roy travis at scootz.net
Fri Aug 1 19:36:56 EDT 2003

Okay this is extreamly strange but let me give it a shot to the list..

We have two sites (auth.signull.com and store.signull.com) they both
have ssl certs for online payment via authorize.net. Now I set up
auth.signull.com on the primary interface and store.signull.com on a
virtual interface and set up IP based virtual hosting and all goes
well, when you go to the IP or the name of either you get to the right
page be it SSL or non SSL.

Now, since putting them both up we started having problems when I did
this and the problem is very odd. There's a script that sends
somebody's credit card information to authorize.net and then that is
suppose to check it and send the information back to our server via a
POST so that we can generate a page to show the user what happened (if
the card was accepted). Now this drove us up a wall because it wasn't
working and it was timing out. We got error emails from authorize.net
saying that it was a "time out".

We thought the script might be hanging or something but we didn't see
anything in the logs about it. After doing a trafshow we started seeing
the actual connection so we knew they were connecting. Then we started
doing a tcpdump and had them do the transaction via normal http so we
could see what was going on. They connected and seem to start some kind
of handshaking but the apache server never responds.

Now here's where it gets even stranger. Going to the page via IE,
Mozilla, or even just telnetting to port 80 and issuing the POST that
way works fine, no issues. Of course authorize.net says that they've
been doing this for years and it's not their problem. I turn off the
virtual interface and it works flawlessly, turn it back on, same
problem.

Anybody have any idea?