Spam works... and that's the crux of the problem

Larry Cook lcook at sybase.com
Wed Aug 6 13:07:00 EDT 2003

Since Spam has been a recent topic, I thought I'd share this article about a
business in Manchester that uses Spam:

+++++++++++
Swollen Orders Show Spam's Allure

By Brian McWilliams   02:00 AM Aug. 06, 2003 PT

MANCHESTER, New Hampshire -- A security flaw at a website operated by the
purveyors of penis-enlargement pills has provided the world with a
depressing answer to the question: Who in their right mind would buy
something from a spammer?

An order log left exposed at one of Amazing Internet Products' websites
revealed that, over a four-week period, some 6,000 people responded to
e-mail ads and placed orders for the company's Pinacle herbal supplement.
  Most customers ordered two bottles of the pills at a price of $50 per
bottle.

See http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,59907,00.html for the full story
that includes short blurbs on some of the people that placed orders.

Larry