in the MX record??

Bill Mullen moon at lunarhub.com
Tue Aug 19 12:57:58 EDT 2003

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003, Jason Kern wrote:

> I will be hosting a site for someone who has an exchange server set up
> locally. Mail traffic for the domain needs to end up at that server
> rather than be hosted on my web server (sendmail). Can I just have the
> MX record in DNS set to point to their exchange server? Or does the MX
> record point to my server which redirects via SendMail config?  The
> exchange server has only a dedicated IP address.

As long as their mail server has an IP address that is directly accessible
from the WAN, having the MX record point to it should work. If the target
system has a valid hostname that one can retrieve by doing a reverse
lookup on the IP address, then use that in the MX record - if not, use any
"A" record name that points to that IP address. CNAMEs should not be used
in MX records.

--
Bill Mullen   moon at lunarhub.com   MA, USA   RLU #270075   MDK 8.1 & 9.0
"There are two kinds of people in the world, those who believe there are