Network problem

Stephen Ingham s_ingham at comcast.net
Thu Aug 28 19:20:14 EDT 2003

Question: What kind of Hub?

A good repeater hub will automatically turn off a port when 32 consecutive
collisions are detected. Maybe your hub doesn't have this feature or the
problem was something other than 32 consecutive collisions.

A switch or bridge will also stop all collisions and other errors from
propagating over the entire network.

Warning: Many cheap multi-port 10/100 "switches" are not true switches but
are really two repeaters plus a 2 port switch. A 10Mbit and a 100Mbit
repeater connected to all ports. The hardware will detect the connection
speed and connect it to the appropriate repeater. The switch is used to
switch between the 10Mbit and 100Mbit repeaters. But if all the devices are
connected at the same speed, then you do not have the network protection of
a true multi-port switch.