Osirusoft blacklists the world

Derek Martin invalid at pizzashack.org
Fri Aug 29 12:03:41 EDT 2003

On Fri, Aug 29, 2003 at 11:43:44AM -0400, bscott at ntisys.com wrote:
> > ... such restrictions wouldn't need to exist if everyone would play nice.
>
>   I find that statement to be incredible, especially coming from you Derek.
> I know you're not that naive.  The problem with much of human history is
> that everyone does not play nice.

Indeed.  I'm being idealistic.  Imagine if everyone were?  =8^)

> Actions like blocking TCP port 25 do solve problems.  These actions are
[snip]
> also often the best practical option available to an individual network
> operator.  In this case, many large operators serving ignorant end-users are
> taking steps like this to block the SoBig worm, which is still circulating,
> despite massive press coverage, even in the mainstream press.  The reasoning

And despite operators blocking port 25.  I think that's proof enough
that it solves nothing.  The solution is for people to stop using bad
software.  Of course, that means we'll have to stop writing it
first...  ;-)

--
Derek D. Martin
http://www.pizzashack.org/