GRUB setup

bscott at ntisys.com bscott at ntisys.com
Fri Aug 29 12:51:46 EDT 2003

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003, at 12:27pm, erobitaille at eagle1st.com wrote:
> I read read the GRUB  manual.  Using ''dd', I copied
> stage 1 and stage 2 to my floppy (fd0)

  As I recall, stage 2 should exist in a filesystem -- not by using "dd".

  I always install stage 1 using the GRUB "install" or "setup" commands.  I
just run the "grub" command from the regular Linux/Unix shell prompt.

> kernal (hd1,2)/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb3

  Kernel is spelled wrong.

> #initrd (hd1,0)/initrd root=/dev/hdb3
> initrd (fd0)/initrd

  Why do you copy the initial ramdisk image (initrd) to the floppy, but not
the kernel file (vmlinuz)?

> My '/' is located on hdb3 and '/boot' is located on /hdba.

  "hdba" is not a standard partition name.

  Please correct the above errors, or clarify your message, and we can help
you more.  Thanks.  :-)

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>