CUPS help

Kenneth E. Lussier klussier at sentito.com
Tue Dec 9 11:29:58 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-12-09 at 10:36, Dan Coutu wrote:

> Well first the direct answer to your last question about username and
> password in the URL. Do this:
>
> http://username:password@hostname.domain/path/file
>
> I'd assume that the ipp syntax would be the same.

I thought the same thing. However, it didn't work. CUPS didn't like it.

> Secondly, you may find it easier to setup Samba to deal with the printer
> installation because it can
> be setup so that when a Windows system adds the shared printer the
> proper printer drivers can be
> downloaded to the Windows system. Pretty cool trick.

This was my first method of solving the problem. And it worked nicely.
Until I was informed of the actual need ;-) Apparently, what I am doing
is setting up a PDF generator so people can just hit "print" and get an
e-mail with a URL to their PDF file. (I really wish people would define
their needs better before asking for help....)

 I found a system that will work nicely called Alambic
(http://alambic.iroise.net/en/index.html). I had to divert from the
systems plans and use a different printer driver then the one they say
to use (AdobePS driver). Once I used a standard Windows printer driver
(HP postscript), I was prompted for the user/passwd.

Thanks,
Kenny