Let's all stop the spam worldwide. We can do it.

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Mon Dec 29 12:33:07 EST 2003

On Monday, Dec 29th 2003 at 12:29 -0500, quoth Bill Freeman:

=>Steven,
=>
=>    How does this work for those of us who use our ISP's mail host as
=>the "smartrelay" value for our MTA?
=>
=>[I'm asking privatly so that you can summarize to the group, in case this
=>turns out to be a common question.]
=>
=>                                           Bill

There's an include facility in the record. Look at mine:

v=spf1 mx ptr a:saturn include:rcn.com -all

Most of my mail goes through me directly. Some people won't accept my mail
because I originate out of a dynamic address pool. For those people I have
entries in my sendmail mailertable to route through RCN.

=>> One thing I've noticed about this
=>> group is that we have a strong interest in controlling spam (at least at
=>> the hobby level). This month's Linux Journal has a great article on
=>> extending DNS for the purpose of controlling forged headers. The basic
=>> idea is that the MX record is used by the sender to find out what address
=>> to send to. What's missing is an MS record (for Mail Sender) to validate
=>> the the mail that we are receiving is coming from a valid address. If we
=>> all had MS records in our DNS then we'd be able to verify that the
=>> incoming message from hotmail or yahoo really is from that domain.
=>>
=>> Check this out. I'm adding to my DNS records this weekend. We should all
=>> do it.
=>>
=>> http://spf.pobox.com
=>>
=>> I'd very much like to hear people's opinions on this.
=>>
=>> You can see my personal ms setup via:
=>>
=>> dig syslang.net txt

steveo at syslang.net