Compressed disk-based filesystem, anyone?

Michael O'Donnell mod+gnhlug at std.com
Tue Feb 4 15:06:15 EST 2003

> Hiya, all -- I know that there are compressed filesystems (eg.
> Linus' own cramfs), but I believe they're largely read-only for
> embedded systems.  I'm looking, for various reasons, to find a
> disk-based compressed filesystem.  Is anyone aware of such a beast?

Interesting - I'll be curious to hear what you manage
to dig up.  If all you care about is saving space,
and if your data are compressible, you can probably
find something that will at least work.  Otherwise,
my prediction (based on the compression algorithms
and filesystem theory of which I'm aware) is that
you're not likely to find a general purpose solution
that pleases you because the conditions that make for
efficient compression are likely to be a problem when
trying to manage filesystem data efficiently.