home dir in cygwin

Michael O'Donnell mod+gnhlug at std.com
Thu Feb 6 17:10:57 EST 2003

> Because I didn't know it.  And I had never heard of a getpwent()
> function, nor did I know that sysadmins often resorted to knowledge
> of C structs and pointers in the course of their work.  (I don't run
> a Linux box, I just have an account on a friend's, so this man page
> isn't something I've ever seen before.  And the machine I *do* run
> is MacOS X, which doesn't use an /etc/passwd file for user info.)

I don't use a Mac but my understanding is that MacOS
X is basically just Mach with a BSD-style personality
called Darwin.  As apparent confirmation of that,
the guy at the desk next to me (who's running MacOS X)
just now cat'd out the /etc/passwd file on his machine
at my request.  Note that he'd never had occasion to
care about it before this and wasn't even sure it
would be there, though he's built code with gcc on
that machine and even installed Debian packages on it.