[OT] hacking the hiccup

Mark Komarinski mkomarinski at wayga.org
Thu Feb 6 19:52:51 EST 2003

On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 05:02:10PM -0500, pll at lanminds.com wrote:

> In a message dated: Thu, 06 Feb 2003 16:44:05 EST
> Derek Martin said:
>
> >If you read slashdot, you probably already saw this.  If you don't,
> >you may find it interesting.  Scientists now think they understand why
> >humans hiccup.
> >
> >  http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99993355
> >
> >What will be interesting is if they can use the research to figure out
> >a way to stop the accursed things...
>
> I read this article earlier (Okay, I admit it, I'm /. junky :) and
> came away with not a better understanding of why we hiccup, but
> rather, that there are now *more questions* about why we hiccup.

My daughter (age 10 weeks) hiccups at least once a day.  It's apparently
very common in babies.  The first time she got it, we were getting ready
to leave the hospital and I was holding her - I laughed for 10 minutes
straight.

I'll apologize to her when she's old enough to find the humor (probably
when she has her own).

-Mark