Personal document development & multimedia on Linux

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Thu Feb 13 12:13:30 EST 2003

In a message dated: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 04:17:20 EST
"Lee D. Rothstein" said:

>What have been your experiences attempting or doing the following with Linux?
>
>    * Editing Word, Excel & Powerpoint docs on Linux in a mix with MS-weenies

Depends upon the complexity of the document.  For simple docs,
OpenOffice does quite well, for *really* simple docs AbiWord works
well.

For Excel, I've had little to no trouble with either Gnumeric
or OO's spreadsheet.

For PowerPoint, I usually have no problems with OO.  Of course, I
also seldom change stuff and send it back to the source.

>    * Playing standard music CDs

Never had a problem.

>    * Ripping Audio CDs

The only problem I've had is using cdrecord to write in dao mode.
For most things where the collection really is a bunch of separate
tracks, it's not a problem.  If you're ripping a live concert, then
you end up with noticable skips in the music as it changes tracks.

This is annoying, but not problematic.  I have not tried using cdrdao
yet, which is supposed to better support dao mode than cdrecord.

>    * Hearing & seeing the following file types on the web:
>        * animated GIFs

Don't think I've ever tried.  Oh wait, any web browser will do just
fine.

>        * .avi's

Problematic.  My digicam will take short (30 sec) avi movies, and I
can't play them back (though I haven't tried real hard either )

>        * .wmf's

Never heard of it.

>        * .mp3's

No problem what so ever!

>        * .mov's

Never tried.

>    * Availability of applications?

For what?  The above?  MP3 probably has the most number of differing apps.

>    * Interfaces?
>        * IEEE 1394 Firewire
>        * USB
>        * USB2

AFAIK, the first two are quite well supported. Don't know about USB2.
My Handspring Visor and Digicam both work just fine under USB.  I
don't have any firewire stuff.  Reportedly maddog just bought a
firewire drive and works just fine.

>    * Drivers
>        * Scanners

Get one supported by the SANE group.  Check their website.

>        * Removable media (USB, 1394)

USB has plenty of drivers.

>        * Digital cameras

Get one supported by gphoto2, check the website.  My Cannon G2 works
awesome with Linux.

>        * Video cameras

No experience.

>If you'll respond to me individually, I'll post a summary.

Please post a summary regardless!
--

Seeya,
Paul