Controlling Apache Error messages?

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Fri Feb 14 12:00:11 EST 2003

In a message dated: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 11:19:48 EST
Rodent of Unusual Size said:

>this is HTTP_UNAUTHORIZED, which is status code 401.

Hmmm, that's what I thought.  However, I have tried the following:

	ErrorDocument 401 /cgi-bin/unauth.cgi

Which for some reason didn't work.  I'm guessing because the user
also needs to be authorized to access this directory :) (Doh!)

Then I tried this:

	ErrorDocument 401 http://168.159.31.24/cgi-bin/unauth.cgi

and upon restarting apache, I get this error:

	Starting web server: apache[Fri Feb 14 11:51:53 2003] [notice]
	cannot use a full URL in a 401 ErrorDocument directive --- ignoring!

Yet, it is clearly stated in a number of places, that the use of an
external URL is acceptable.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

--