chattr

Bruce Dawson jbd at codemeta.com
Fri Feb 14 12:03:40 EST 2003

The *only* time I've seen the immutable bit set was in a system that had
been hacked (not mine), and it was on a file named "..." (3 dots). (That file
was the daemon that kept open a "telnet" port to a root shell.)

In general, this will wreck havoc with any restore procedure that uses files
instead of filesystems (tar, cpio, ... work with files; dump/restore works with
filesystems).

Personally, I would recommend *not* using the immutable bit in anything that
doesn't have its own backup/restore mechanism. In otherwords, the immutable bit
could be useful in ROM or embedded filesystems.