Hardware vent...

Bill Sconce sconce at in-spec-inc.com
Thu Feb 20 17:24:37 EST 2003

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 14:59:39 -0500
"Hewitt Tech" <hewitt_tech at attbi.com> wrote:

> Anybody had good experiences with their laptops?

Two Thinkpad T22s here.  Absolutely satisfactory(*).  Fastest machines
in the shop;  use 'em to do all the heavy lifting (e.g., kernel compiles).
We've even come to prefer the built-in display, even though one of the
laptops spends all its time docked (external KB and trackball) and right
in front of a nice 21" high-resolution monitor.  The monitor doesn't
get used - the LCD is crisper.  (I don't think the 12.1" LCD on the
Lindows laptop would be big enough, however.)

(*)  Winmodem, ugh.  But a Lucent chipset.  Was therefore able to pull
down ltmodem, compile a kernel.  Both machines have then worked flawlessly.
(FWIW, we've had excellent luck with wvdial, which I recommend too.)

Can't comment on hinges or physical robustness, since
a)  We've had no trouble
b)  The laptops lead an easy life - only rarely do they leave the house.
We try to keep their life easy;  they're certainly light.  ("Titanium case",
IBM says.  Whatever they mean by that.)

But Linux on T22s:  good experience here.  Couldn't be happier.

-Bill

P.S.  I share your opinion of Presarios.  Never could get my 1675 to track
its battery state correctly.  Couldn't have confidence travelling with it.
(According to my recollection there were several threads on the lists about
the bad engineering in the Presario line, about how Compaq refused to own up.)
It crashed a lot, too, although that may not have been Compaq's problem -
it ran a 16-bit bootloader which the manufacturer called an "OS", not Linux.