Intel says the PC BIOS will be replaced with 'EFI'

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Fri Feb 21 11:37:50 EST 2003

In a message dated: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 11:13:09 EST
bscott at ntisys.com said:

>http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t269-s2130826,00.html
>
>  Comments?

About Fsck'ing time :)

Seriously, if what Travis says:

  Travis> They're just switching to openfirmware.

is true, then I'll be quite happy.  One of the nice things about
working with Sun hardware was that if there was a problem with the
OS, it was always trivial to go into the EEPROM and change the
configuration to boot off of a different device without having to
later reboot and change back later.  Another really nice thing about
Sun's use of openfirmware, was that it was programmable from the OS
level, so once the machine had actually booted, you could change the
boot device for the next time.

These types of things, along with native net-boot capability made
things like Solaris' JumpStart really nice to work with.

PC's just aren't there now.  PXE is a start, but that's not standard
across machines, and is NIC dependant.  Additionally, you still need
to muck with the BIOS to make sure it supports net-boots, and you
need to then separately configure the NIC(s) to boot.  It's mess and
it's long past time they fix it :)

--

Seeya,
Paul