Intel says the PC BIOS will be replaced with 'EFI'

Ben Boulanger ben at blackavar.com
Fri Feb 21 17:01:08 EST 2003

On Fri, 21 Feb 2003, Bayard R. Coolidge wrote:
> While it's true that the "proprietary architecture"
> vendors such as Sun, DEC, et al, had a large system
> service capability mentality, I would think that, at
> least for the Itanium2-based systems, be they desktop
> or server, it would make sense to expand/enhance the
> BIOS capabilities ANYWAY, if for no other reason than
> to leverage economies-of-scale.

Lets not forget that this BIOS replacement also makes it more graphical,
user friendly, and customizeable.  While the big manufacturers may not
want to add the lights out management style stuff, they'll almost
certainly want a nice BIOS GUI with a "DELL" watermark.  Think of compaq's
little partition.  If that stayed past a drive upgrade, it would have been
decent and probably would have caught on.

Ben

--
Thursday, December 10, 1840: I discover a strange track in
the snow and learn that some migrating otter has made across