Document & multimedia development and use on Linux

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Tue Feb 25 10:21:24 EST 2003

I'd like add another $.02  :)

In a message dated: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 23:17:30 EST
"Lee D. Rothstein" said:

>* Ripping Audio CDs
>
>  - Simple
>  - Only problem is using 'cdrecord' to
>    write in DAO [ddisk-at-once, versus
>    TAO -- track-at-once] mode. Where
>    collection is bunch of separate
>    tracks, it's not a problem. If
>    you're ripping a live concert, then
>    you get noticeable skips in music as
>    it changes tracks. Annoying, but not
>    problematic.  I have not tried using
>    'cdrdao' yet, which is supposed to
>    better support DAO mode than
>    'cdrecord'.

I have since played around with burning audio CDs under Linux using
gcdmaster, which is a GUI front end to cdrdao, and it seems work
flawlessly (which means I now have to back and re-burn those CDs with
the annoying gaps in them :)

>* Interfaces?
>  > USB
>
>  - Handspring Visor and Digicam both
>    work just fine under USB.

I just recently purchased an HP PhotoSmart 7550 USB2.0 color printer.
The computer I have unfortunately does not support 2.0, so I don't
get the speed. However, I re-compiled the kernel for USB printer
support, installed cups, and had this thing running in under an hour!
So, that's now 3 USB devices I have running under Linux without
complaint (so far :)
--

Seeya,
Paul