Linux booting problems

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Thu Feb 27 15:45:57 EST 2003

In a message dated: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 15:30:58 EST
Kenny Donahue said:

>ext3 comes up then it try's to load the ext3 module.

[nit-picking: "tries" not "try's" :) ]

>it fails with undefined symbols in jdb.o and ext3.o.
>Why is it trying to load modules that are suposed to be
>in the kernel!!!!  I looked in /lib/modules/linux-2.4.7-10custom/....
>and these modules DONT EXIST!!!

Chances are there's a modules.conf or something which loaded these
from the default kernel, and it's still trying...

>make modules_install

but you probably just blew them away with this step here.
(of course, I could be wrong :)

>make install

I recommend not doing the make install, rather, manually copying
arch/<arch>/boot/bzImage to /boot/vmlinuz-whatever and editing the
lilo.conf to add a new kernel.  Then run lilo to recognize this new
kernel and boot from it.

That way you don't lose your old kernel.
--

Seeya,
Paul