Mozilla and anti-aliased fonts

Paul Iadonisi pri.nhlug at iadonisi.to
Thu Jan 2 21:08:10 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-01-02 at 20:29, Derek Martin wrote:

> I thought I read somewhere that Mozilla was supposed to have font
> anti-aliasing support?  I messed around with this in konqueror a while
> back, and I really liked the results; but I don't like konqueror.

  Long story, but I'll try to make it short.  There were several things
that had to happen before mozilla could support AA fonts.  The
gtkmozembed and gtk2 work had to be done first and then the Xft stuff
could be worked on.  To make matters worse, the *same* *lone* person,
Christian (Schaller, I think) was the one doing the all the work.
Anyhow, the good news is that if you use Red Hat 8.0, you can grab the
mozilla and galeon binary rpms from Phoebe.  They have AA fonts (at
galeon only in the browser window, not the menus, etc.) and seem to work
fine on 8.0.
  For other distros, I don't know, but you might be able to just rip
apart the src.rpm, apply all the patches and build on your distro of
choice.

--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior System Administrator