Hardware music players (was: Moving files)

Travis Roy travis at scootz.net
Mon Jan 6 13:59:20 EST 2003

> In a message dated: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 13:34:22 EST
> Mark Komarinski said:
>
>>I'm not *that* anal about my music.  I just want to hear it.
>
> but if you've got a
> soundboard recording of a live show that's been converted to mp3 from
> wav, you've lost a lot data in that, and the resultant file sounds
> like crap compared to the original.

Huh? If you have a live show that's a .wav file and convert it to MP3 you
lost a lot of data? How is going from a high quality .wav file to mp3 any
different then CDDA to wav since most wav files can be same bitrate/freq
as a CD? And I would think somebody recording a live show to edit/burn
would have it in a high quality format. Early rippers and even ones now
that work with drives that don't support CDDA will record the audio off
the CD into wav format and then convert it to MP3.