Hardware music players (was: Moving files)

Travis Roy travis at scootz.net
Mon Jan 6 21:59:16 EST 2003

> MP3 encoding was using lame with the only options being -b
> <bitrate>. OGG encoding was using oggenc, also with the only
> option being -b <bitrate). OGG/MP3 to WAV used ogg123/mpg123
> respectively.  Only options were to have each spit out WAV
> files instead of using the sound card.

There is a slight problem with this.. OGG will always use VBR, while
MP3s will not if you specify a bitrate.

That being said, I don't notice much of a difference.. It could be my
crappy setup that I have on my computer and would probably notice more
of a difference if I played it in the stereo in my living room. But I
think the difference wouldn't be to noticable using something like that
slim devices gadget.