Moving files

Kenneth E. Lussier ken.lussier at zuken.com
Tue Jan 7 08:33:26 EST 2003

On Mon, 2003-01-06 at 16:31, Michael O'Donnell wrote:

> >Kenny or mod, both of whom, if they had cared to I'm
> >sure, could have figured either one-liner out in as
> >much time.
>
> You're right, of course - I did.  And I hope
> nobody took any offense at my request for
> explanations.  FYI, when I asked for y'all to
> explain your one-liners I did it (as much as
> anything else) for the benefit of the silent
> lurkers today and those who might be cruising
> these archives in future.  I like to think the
> GNHLUG list is good for that sort of thing.

So *THAT'S* what this list is for.. Hmm. Imagine that ;-)

> When I (and others, I assume) gripe about Perl
> we're not demanding that full enlightenment
> leap directly from the source code on the
> page/screen into our neural pathways with no
> prior expenditure of time or effort on the part
> of the reader.

While that would be really nice, I guess it is a bit much to ask. I
actually enjoy taking the one-liners and disecting them into pieces to
understand what each part is doing, and adding it to my repitoir. Of
course, I usually have to flip through one of the Perl books to figure
some of it out, but that's the fun part.

> But here I am trying to add Perl to the list
> of languages I know and, in some senses, Perl
> pisses me off because it *is* familiar - it's a
> Frankenstein tangle of bleeding chunks ripped
> from various other languages that I'm expert
> in.  It's the same, only different.  With Perl,
> those similarities trick me into thinking that
> I know what's going on when I really don't.
> Maybe I'd have more patience with it if it
> was completely UNfamiliar...

Alas, I am not an expert in any languages. I hack in shell for most
things, but I have been trying to learn Perl for a while now. I use
other peoples code to learn from. I have found both extreams to be quite
usefull: Long Perl scripts that are well commented and nicely formatted
and short (mostly one-liners), uncommented, hard to read scripts that I
have to really work at to understand. I find that they both serve a
purpose in the educational process.

On a now less-than-topical note, I finally got my mp3's re-named.
However, none of the suggested ssolutions was a magic bullet because of
other factors. Some of the filenames had other characters that also
needed to be removed (such as ('s, )'s, ,'s, and .'s). But, thanks to
everyone for the suggestions. They served as a great jumping off point
for a fairly interesting discussion. However, I was a bit upset that no
one posted a solution in assembly ;-)

C-Ya,
Kenny
"Tact is just *not* saying true stuff" -- Cordelia Chase

Kenneth E. Lussier
Sr. Systems Administrator
Zuken, USA
PGP KeyID CB254DD0