Moving Files (Again)

Bob Bell bobbell at zk3.dec.com
Tue Jan 7 11:38:15 EST 2003

On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 10:19:09AM -0500, Kevin D. Clark <kclark at cetaceannetworks.com> wrote:
> Assuming that none of the filenames contain embedded newlines or other
> strange characters:
>
>   for A in `find ~/mamedk/roms2.mame.dk -name \*.zip -print | grep 'cur/[^/]*\.zip$'` ; do
>     cp "$A" ~/mamedk/roms
>   done

    I forget if you are one of the ones who considers spaces "stange
characters", but that general method breaks with filenames with spaces.
I general find that instead of:

for foo in `find blah`; do
    # do stuff
done

the following is typically more reliable:

find blah | while read foo; do
    # do stuff
done

--