Wireless weirdness (was: NT Stuff)

Mark Komarinski mkomarinski at wayga.org
Wed Jan 15 13:16:50 EST 2003

Having worked support before, I can say that it is one of the few areas
that is considered a money sink.  Thus, interaction with customers always
gets the short end of the stick (think: voice mail hell).

Unfrotunately, that leads to the situation you describe - customers hate
vendor X and don't buy from them anymore.  Vendor X's sales drop as a
result, and they have to cut somewhere - customer support!  A nasty
vicious cycle.

Toss in the additional fact that the vendor doesn't know how smart you are.
I would guess a majority of their calls can be solved by having the
customer RTFM.  But when you call in knowing that the video card is toast,
they can't believe you until they go through their little script (is
it plugged in?, what OS are you using..).

NOW toss in the massive price competition between vendors.  Prices for
PCs have dropped like a rock in the past few years, dropping the margin,
and increasing the customer base that then needs help.  But vendors can't
charge what they should, or else they would be out of business.  In
addition, the vendor has to support a braindead OS in order to keep their
sales.  How many of the remaining support calls deals with an OS quirk?

How to stop it?  That's hard.  Find a vendor that is good and make sure
you tell them when things go right and when they go wrong.  My decisions on
vendors usually is a result of the quality of the hardware rather than the
quality of tech support, but that's only because I'm usually doing things
with the hardware (install Linux) that isn't supported by the vendor
in the first place.

For example, I don't like buying Dells because a laptop I had a year ago
was a piece of junk, whereas my IBM laptop still runs like a champ
two year later.  When I wanted a new laptop, I chose another IBM.

-Mark