Where am I (csh)

Kevin D. Clark kclark at CetaceanNetworks.com
Wed Jan 15 14:34:28 EST 2003

Mark Komarinski <mkomarinski at wayga.org> writes:

> Without getting into the "why are you using X to do the job":
>
> I've got a csh script in an arbitrary location.  But I need to know
> from within the script where it exists in the directory structure.  The
> reason for that is I need to source a file from within that same
> directory (where the script is).  If I look for cwd or pwd, I get the
> directory my shell was when when I ran the script, not where the
> script itself is located.
>
> As an additional condition, I can't use anything on the local system, as
> the script will be run over NFS to various systems (hence one of the
> reasons it's arbitrary).  And it has to be csh, no tcshisms.

Doing this, in the most general case, is very difficult.  It doesn't
matter which shell you're using either...

Is `dirname "$0"` good enough?  (even though in certain strange
situations (that you will probably never experience) it might not be
correct).

Regards,

--kevin
--
"...this does not mean that some of us should not want, in a rather
dispassionate sort of way, to put a bullet through csh's head."