cygwin

Andrew W. Gaunt quantum at lucent.com
Thu Jan 16 08:47:57 EST 2003

Erik,

I have a W2K box as my daily use workstation. Believe it
or not,  it's actually by my choice as I happen to manage a W2K
domain as an adjunct to our Unix/Linux environments.

I loaded the cygwin environment a while ago and seem to be
getting pulled into that direction. Funny eh?

There's a lot to it, it works.. All kinds of stuff we *nix geeks are
familiar with -- bash, gcc, yadda, yadda. Just this week I abandoned
Exceed which I was using as an X-server and am now using The X-server
(Xfree86) that comes with Cygwin. I have to change the way I do things
a bit, but, things that didn't run well with Exceed do run well with the
Cygwin X-server. Daemons like telentd and ftpd can be installed along
with inetd to provide remote access. I haven't configure sshd yet, but,
I use the ssh client quite a bit.

One thing that really helps the 'linux' feel is running bash in a xterm,
it's not
at all like a brain dead dos box that doesn't stretch beyond 80
columns -- much more unixy.

There's even a /proc which has under it a directory named 'registry.'
I wonder what that could be used for? ;-)

Recommendation? Get it. Use it.