cygwin

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Thu Jan 16 16:22:50 EST 2003

In a message dated: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 15:27:49 EST
Jerry Feldman said:

>Regarding Cygwin. I am teaching a C course at Northeastern and several
>of my students have downloaded Cygwin, but are not Unix people.
>My questions are:
>1. Does one create a .profile (or .bashrc) and create a PATH. I don't
>think my student last week had either in his home directory.
>2. Or does one add the PATH information into the main Windows PATH?

I'm pretty sure it goes in a .profile (or etc.).  I've not used
Cygwin extensively, but it seemed that when you were operating in the
Cygwin environment, you were effectively in a real UNIX-like
environment, and things behaved "properly", i.e. not like Windows.

I may be wrong, others probably know better :)

>Since a couple of my students are having some trouble, I'll take the
>time to load it onto my wife's system when she is kind enough to let me
>use it :-)

Your wife is nice.  I'm not allowed to touch my wife's systems ;)
--

Seeya,
Paul