SBC patents the wheel

Michael O'Donnell mod+gnhlug at std.com
Mon Jan 20 17:28:10 EST 2003

Excerpt from letter to one of their victims:

  "For example your site includes several selectors or tabs that
   correspond to specific locations within your site documents.
   These selectors seem to reside in their own frame or part
   of the user interface.  And, as such, the selectors are not
   lost when a different part of the document is displayed to
   the user - see screen shots from museumtour.com enclosed.
   By separating the selectors from the content, Museumetour has
   truly simplified site navigation and improved the shopping
   experience for its users."

  "As you review the Structured Document Patent you will notice
   that the above-discussed features appear to infringe several
   issued claims in our patent.  In light of Museum Tours presumed
   respect for the intellectual property rights of others, we
   are pleased to offer you a Preferred Rate license under the
   structured Document Patent - see enclosed rate schedule -..."

  http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=7314