Linux in Exeter Public Schools?

Randy Edwards redwards at golgotha.net
Mon Jan 20 17:54:00 EST 2003

> Believe it or not, I don't think it would be much of an issue convincing
> the school board to use Linux.  They are incredibly stingy:

    You *are* talking about public education in the state of New Hampshire.
Remember, this is the state which is *still* debating how to fund an equal
education to all students *years* after the Court decreed it (see contrasts to
Vermont and Maine when they faced simliar issues). :-(

> there is a chance to expose 1,500 students (200, I'll be honest, who
> actually care) to a proper computing setup, as opposed to the weak,

    More importantly, it's a chance to expose 1500 students to a more advanced
look at computer technology and to save money on licensing and
support/administrative costs.

> lackluster approach to technology Exeter is currently taking.
> Any thoughts?

    Here are some random thoughts thrown in a haphazard way:

    Having dealt with public education for a while, the key is to swing the
power brokers in the bureaucratic positions.  School boards generally have to
have very good, very strong reasons to veto the experts they hire.  Thus, IMHO
the key is the technology coordinator/director for the district or high
school.  Get that person on board (and if possible other technology people at
the school), appeal to the board's cheapness, and it'll be game over.

    Who's the tech coord at the school?  What's the opinion of the compsci
teachers there?  Burn a bunch of Knoppix CDs and hand them around to various
people (don't forget the school secretary, a non-obvious power broker) and
emphasize the "see, it's the same thing aspect"; use the menus/GUI, avoid the
commandline at all costs during demos.  Factor in some training costs and the
cost for some books (both for StarOffice and Linux in general) and use that as
a warm-feeling club to bash objections ("But we've got training lined up and
we'll have tons of great books to help in the switch...").

--
  Regards,                | Microsoft -- innovative?  Don't make me laugh.