Linux in Exeter Public Schools?

WmCCornell at aol.com WmCCornell at aol.com
Tue Jan 21 18:09:03 EST 2003

Folks,

I'm Bill Cornell. This past year I've been off-and-on involved with the Rye
school system's technical directions through SAU50. (SAU50 covers Portsmouth,
Greenland, Rye, and Newcastle.)

My focus has been on the computer network the school is trying to put in
place. Keeping in mind that schools often raise money through bake sales,
suppers and craft sales, I've had a pointed concern about getting the most
value for the school systems money when it looks at computer networks.

  There have been several iterations of equipment donations to the Rye Public
School System($$), but think the equipment piece is just the tip of the
iceberg. As best as I can surmise these equipment donations have not been
matched with ongoing administrative and maintenance support($$$$) or an
organized program of software and hardware upgrades($$$$).  Now the town is
struggling to find a way to make the program go without spending a huge
amount of money.

  So, any tools, free hardware, free maintenance (...ha ha) or free software
would be greatly appreciated.

 Is there some kind of loose knit gray market group out there who I can talk
to?

Your comrade in arms,

Bill