permanent email address

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Wed Jan 22 21:53:45 EST 2003

On Wed, 22 Jan 2003, Ken D'Ambrosio wrote:

=>>P.S. Which opens up the discusson - what do you do if you want a
=>> permanent email address? I'm signed up at bigfoot and will likely
=>> re-subsribe from that email/domain address.
=>
=>I absolutely concur with what others have said about getting your own
=>domain name.  I've been lucky: my well.com address is older than my
=>daughter, as it turns 15 in April; nevertheless, rumors of Salon, and,
=>thus, the WELL doing poorly have me worried that some day The Demise may
=>occur.  In the meantime, my flyingtoasters.net domain is "mine" for the
=>foreseeable future, and unlikely to change.  What the others haven't
=>mentioned is that if you ask real purdy, -and- have a broadband
=>connection, -and- know someone with a static connection, you can sometimes
=>talk them into some sort of dynamic DNS arrangement, and have your domain
=>in your house.  I've managed to set this up twice, now, through
=>small-business-owning acquaintances who were willing to serve my DNS info.
=> I know that there are also places such as dyndns.com who do it for a
=>relatively minimal fee, though probably not as cheaply as some of the less
=>expensive registrars.
=>
=>My overly verbose $.02 worth,
=>
=>-Ken
I did it about 18 months ago and I'm never going back. Never.

The secret formula is Red Hat + sendmail + spamassassin + ddclient +
zoneedit.com + their Backup Mx service for $10. It rocks and anyone can do
it. The system is up 24/7 and I can access my system from anywhere.

--
-Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like a banana. Stranger things have -
-happened but none stranger than this. Does your driver's license say Organ