chattr

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Tue Jan 28 12:49:23 EST 2003

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, Derek Martin wrote:

=>--[PinePGP]--------------------------------------------------[begin]--
=>On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 12:32:47PM -0500, Marc Evans wrote:
=>> So, when performing a backup of a filesystem (ext2 or ext3) which has
=>> these attributes, it seems that none of the tools that I have been able to
=>> identify actually backup file attributes.
=>
=>If you use dump on Linux to back up an extX filesystem, I believe it
=>will back up and restore said attributes.  I'm not really sure about
=>that though.  But, you should be aware that even if it does work,
=>Linus considers dump deprecated.

Only dump level 0 will do that. Incremental dump will only back up file
contents. The upshot of it is that if you do a full restore from dump 0,
the actual numbers of the inodes will be identical. :-)

I used to be a big fan of dump, but then I started to mix different
filesystemson my 'puter. I had ext2, reiser and ext3 (at one point) all
mouned at once.  Dump is very ext2 specific (as fas as Linux is
concerned). I never was able to get a straight answer as to whether dump
is legal on ext3. (I'm *not* going to assume it.)

--
-Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like a banana. Stranger things have -
-happened but none stranger than this. Does your driver's license say Organ
-steveo+sig at syslang.net