mouse and keyboard lockup w/ RedHat 8.0

Bayard R. Coolidge bayard at tds.net
Tue Jan 28 14:42:04 EST 2003

Following up on my other remarks about /etc/inittab, here's what it
looks like on my
SuSE 7.3 system that comes up in Character Cell mode:

fireworks:/usr/src # more /etc/inittab
#
# /etc/inittab
#
# Copyright (c) 1996 SuSE GmbH Nuernberg, Germany.  All rights reserved.
#
# Author: Florian La Roche <florian at suse.de>, 1996
#
# This is the main configuration file of /etc/init, which
# is executed by the kernel on startup. It describes what
# scripts are used for the different run-levels.
#
# All scripts for runlevel changes are in /etc/init.d/ and the main
# file for changes is /etc/rc.config.
#

# default runlevel
id:3:initdefault:

Larry's should look similar to this, only it probably says:

id:5:initdefault

So, obviously, Level 5 plops you into Xfree86/Workstation login mode,
Level 3 brings you to just a simple character cell terminal.

BTW, not mentioned so far is the possibility that he's running a 2.5.5x
kernel.
If so, there are a number of hoops you have to go through to get back
the use
of an ordinary PS/2-style mouse and an AT(X) Keyboard; i.e., non-USB legacy
stuff.

Regarding my comments about SANE - I just checked the website and it appears
that the SANE-1.0.10 occurred Sunday, and it's now scheduled for release
over
this coming weekend. SANE-1.0.10-pre3 is available for testing. I'm
still using
1.0.9 because I have to patch in the 'avision' patch kit.

HTH,

Bayard