Adverts (was: Funny Linux animation)

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Wed Jan 29 23:45:09 EST 2003

bscott at ntisys.com said:
>On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, at 10:08pm, travis at scootz.net wrote:
>
>> When banner/skyscraper/box/button ads are paying 0.0000003 per impression
>> it's time to look for a better source of revenue.

If the companies could pay for traditional advertising per impression,
I'm sure they would.  It's very difficult to measure TV/Billboard/
Print/Radio ad results.  Click throughs are measurable.  I wonder what
the porn industry's success with popups, etc is?

>  Indeed.  Which is one of the things I am trying to get at.  People seem to
>object to adverts.  Yet at the same time, they complain when other forms of
>cost recovery are attempted.

Sometimes ads can be negative.  I'll never buy something over the
phone.  I might actively avoid the retail store/product associated with the
telemarketer too.  My mom will never get MCI long distance because of
their relentless pursuit.

There are better ways to advertise.  I like the ads on google for
instance.  I use to love the old Beagle Brothers ads for Apple ][
computers.  I got a 2nd edition of a book as a PDF for
free and I'm going to buy the 3rd edition as a result.

>Footnotes
>---------
>[1] If you have not read Robert Heinlein's classic _The Moon is a Harsh
>    Mistress_, you may not understand the significance of "TANSTAAFL".
>    Briefly: In an isolated colony with limited resources[2], failure
>    to understand the underlying principle of TANSTAAFL will kill you[3].

And he got the idea from bars that used to serve a free lunch, but sold
drinks at a higher price.  All of the bar food was pickled, salted, etc.

It's a great saying.  I remember seeing Tanstaffl Manufacturing Co....

--
-------
Tom Buskey