CUPS under RH 7.3/8.0

Mark Komarinski mkomarinski at wayga.org
Thu Jan 30 14:04:54 EST 2003

First, my domain fell off the planet this morning.  I forgot that
my subscription to TZO expired (whoops!).  As you can see,
things are a bit better now.

Anyway....

Last night I checked my laptop to see if 8.0 had CUPS installed instead
of LPRng, and it was not the case.  RH 8.0 still gives users the
option of either, with LPRng being the default.

If you want to test out CUPS under RH, here's the quick-and-dirty way:

1) Get apt-get for RPM.  Gives the best combination of using existing
RPM files while getting the network/dependency/updating features that
APT uses.  You can get a copy at freshrpms.net.  Get the one for your
version, then apt-get update and apt-get upgrade.  Let it finish.

2) apt-get install cups cups-devel gimp-print-cups cups-drivers
There may be other dependencies that apt-get will install.

3) Use redhat-switch-printer to go from LPRng to CUPS.  You will need
to stop /etc/init.d/lpd and start /etc/init.d/cups.  You'll get a message
telling you this.

4) Point your browser at localhost:631 and configure some printers.

5) I mentioned gtklp.  apt-rpm has qtcups (which is similar, but for
QT), but not gtklp.  You can compile your own version over at
http://gtklp.sourceforge.net/.  Don't get the precompiled version.
gtklp can then be used as a replacement for lpr from applications like
mozilla or even from the command line.

IIRC, if you're using debian, you can just install cups and it will
remove the LPRng packages in favor of cups.  Having converted my Deb
servers to cups long ago, I don't remember.

-Mark