CUPS under RH 7.3/8.0

Dan Coutu coutu at snowy-owl.com
Thu Jan 30 15:11:37 EST 2003

Mark Komarinski wrote:
> 1) Get apt-get for RPM.  Gives the best combination of using existing
> RPM files while getting the network/dependency/updating features that
> APT uses.  You can get a copy at freshrpms.net.  Get the one for your
> version, then apt-get update and apt-get upgrade.  Let it finish.
>
> 2) apt-get install cups cups-devel gimp-print-cups cups-drivers
> There may be other dependencies that apt-get will install.

Hmm, so I tried the above two steps on my 7.3 system and get:

# apt-get install cups cups-devel gimp-print-cups cups-drivers
Reading Package Lists... Done
Collecting File Provides... Error!
E: could not open RPM package list file
/var/state/apt/lists/apt.freshrpms.net_redhat_7.3_en_i386_base_pkglist.os:
(no error)
E: Problem opening
/var/state/apt/lists/apt.freshrpms.net_redhat_7.3_en_i386_base_pkglist.os
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

It would appear that I get this error because the file that it can't open
doesn't exist! Any idea why? Or how to create it? Nothing in the apt
related man pages provides a command or switch that corrects the problem.

--

Dan Coutu
Managing Director