Samba + W2K question

bscott at ntisys.com bscott at ntisys.com
Thu Jul 3 00:18:07 EDT 2003

On 2 Jul 2003, at 10:52pm, cole at tuininga.org wrote:
>>   Apparently it's not easier to upgrade Samba that way.  :-)
>
> *chuckle* Valid argument.  Maybe I should just break down and compile a
> fresh one.

  Samba is all autoconf'ed and everything, so it is the usual

	tar -xzf ; ./configure ; make ; make install

routine we all know and love.  Pretty simple, really.

  OTOH, I've needed to recompile Samba from sources for a couple different
reasons (the one I remember was to add an NTLM option Squid wanted), and
when I did so, I found it very easy to unpack the source RPM, make my
changes to the "spec" file, and rebuild the package.  I really don't know
anything about dpkg, but I imagine you could do a similar thing, if the
package management aspect is what you're after.

>> 	add user script
>
> Cool - I'll give this a try.  Is this the literal config line?

  No, you need to specify a script, or a command.  Like so:

	add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /nowhere -g ntmachine \
		-s /sbin/nologin -c "NT Machine Trust Account" -n -M %u

That uses the Red Hat "useradd" command; I have no idea if Debian provides
one or if the syntax is the same.  A manpage for the Red Hat flavor:

	http://node1.yo-linux.com/cgi-bin/man2html?cgi_command=useradd

> center:~# smbclient //center/homes -U root
> added interface ip=192.168.1.14 bcast=192.168.1.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
> Password:
> Domain=[*******] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.2.3a-12.3 for Debian]
> tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD

  Okay, obviously, something is broke at a lower level than the PDC
functions.  Definitely check the Samba logs.  Samba can be configured to be
ridiculously verbose in logging.  Indeed, the hard part is usually finding
the one important message in the pages and pages of crap.  :-)

  If you get really stuck, mail me your "smb.conf" file and I'll take a
look.

> The odd thing is that I can authenticate users against this server from 9X
> machines just fine...

  Win9X doesn't really authenticate users much anyway, so that doesn't
always mean anything.  :)

  Also, FYI, in case you don't know, you should be able to connect from an
NT machine to the Samba machine, even if the NT box is not a domain member.
Login to a machine local account on the WinNT box, and try to access a share
by typing the full "UNC" path in the "Run" box.  NT should prompt for a
username and password.

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>