destroying data

Tilly, Lawrence Lawrence.Tilly at LibertyMutual.com
Mon Jul 7 13:16:09 EDT 2003

In the AF we had some hi-tec 10MB drives (1999 taxes paying for 1980s technology on a 1970s aircraft)
that had a failure habit. One of our "cleansing" steps was to break open the case, pull out the platters,
drop them on the pavement and grind them with our boots for a minimum of 60 seconds per side.  Then we
smashed them into oblivion w/ one of those $5000 hammers.  It actually proved very therapeutic as well
as enhancing security. :-)

-Lawrence

-----Original Message-----
From: Jon maddog Hall [mailto:maddog at li.org]
Sent: Saturday, July 05, 2003 8:41 AM
To: discuss at gnhlug.org
Cc: maddog at li.org
Subject: Re: destroying data

A friend of mine who used to work for one of our government agencies told me how they got rid of old disks.  They took the disks apart, ground the platters down to dust....then burned the dust.

md
--
Jon "maddog" Hall
Executive Director           Linux(R) International

Board Member: Uniforum Association, USENIX Association

(R)Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in several countries.