OT: Help with computer config

Kenneth E. Lussier ken.lussier at zuken.com
Tue Jul 8 14:48:21 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-07-08 at 13:27, numberwhun at comcast.net wrote:
> Hello everyone!  My appologies for the OT post, but I am having a small amount
> of trouble with my new Linux box.  I just built the machine ( it is an AMD
> Athlon XP 1700, 1.47ghz).  My problem is, when it boots, it registers the
> following on the main screen:
>
>          Unknown Processor  ( 1.100 ghz )
>
> The problem is, it is not recognizing my processor and the 'ghz' is definately
> off.  I have an MSI K7TTurbo - Socket A motherboard.  I am just wondering, since
> it has been so very long since I built a computer, if anyone knows what is wrong
> that the processor is not recognized?   Any ideas are greatly appreciated!!!
> I have Linux installed and running, no problem, but I would really like it to
> see the processor.

Just off the top of my head, you might want to make sure that you have
the latest BIOS revision. Also, check you BIOS settings and make sure
that you have the right clock multiplier settings.

C-Ya,
Kenny

"Tact is just *not* saying true stuff" -- Cordelia Chase

Kenneth E. Lussier
Sr. Systems Administrator
Zuken, USA
PGP KeyID CB254DD0