New topic. Need a procmail recipe.

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Tue Jul 8 15:52:11 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, Jul 8th 2003 at 14:44 -0400, quoth pll at lanminds.com:

=>
=>In a message dated: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 13:54:27 EDT
=>"Steven W. Orr" said:
=>
=>>I have two mailinglists. Let's call them A and B. All members of A are
=>>allowed to be zubzcribed to B. Not all members of B are allowed to be
=>>zubzcribed to A. Noone is allowed to post to either list unless they are
=>>zubzcribed to that list.
=>>
=>>I want people on A to not be allowed to send a single message to both A
=>>and B. If someone sends to both A and B it should hit procmail and
=>>automagically be send only to B.
=>>
=>>[If someone on B sends to A and B, that would automatically block the
=>>message to A.]
=>>
=>>So the recap is this:
=>>An A person sends to A. S'right
=>>An A person sends to B. Also S'right.
=>>An A person who is not zub'd to B sends to both A and B. His message to
=>>would be blocked.
=>>I just want a message send by an A person to both A and B to only go to B.
=>>
=>>Anyone? Please?
=>
=>I'm confused.  Are you trying to enforce rules of engagement upon the
=>mailing list members, or are you just trying to make your view of the
=>world appear as if these rules exist?
=>
=>Procmail has no way of knowing who is sub'ed to any given list.
Sorry. It sort of is confusing.

I'm running majordomo2 here. I have list A which is only for officials in
my town. List B is open to all residents. I'm toying with the idea of
requiring all officals who want to be on A to also be on B. The goal is to
prevent the A people from getting two copies when someone on A sends to
both A and B. If all A's are also on B then I can define a rule which says
that if you want to send to both then please only send to B (which would
hit everybody). Since the average IQ (by definition) is 100 then half the
officials must be below that. And that means that even if I tell them not
to, they will send to both A and B (when they want to reach everyone). In
that case, I want procmail to take over and change the To: from A,B to
just B.

Is this betterer?

--
-Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like a banana. Stranger things have -
-happened but none stranger than this. Does your driver's license say Organ
steveo at syslang.net