X-No-Archive and its ilk

Kevin D. Clark kclark at CetaceanNetworks.com
Tue Jul 8 15:54:38 EDT 2003

brian <lists at karas.net> writes:

> It is an unfortunate reality that posting your "real" email address to
> any world-readable place is a likely invitation to spam.

This has nothing to do with X-No-Archive.

> Additionally, past messages have been dug up and used against people
> in varies ways on more than one occasion.

This is a valid use of X-No-Archive.

> Not everyone wants the headaches of having
> their personal email addresses visible to the world.

X-No-Archive doesn't solve this.

> Quite often the people who are even aware of a No-Archive bit, what
> it does, where to set it, etc, have usually made contributions back
> to the electronic community in more than one fashion.  This (IMO)
> cancels out the negative karma that you imply exists by them taking
> information from a search engine, yet not "giving back" by allowing
> their own posts to be archived in the same search engines.

This last bit is so confused that I'm going to ignore it.

> If the world were fair, all email would still be text, lynx would be a
> useful browser and spam would merely be a meat-like substance and not an
> email marketing scheme.

To my knowledge, I haven't claimed that the world should be fair.

A couple of other things:

1:  A bit of netiquette.  If you respond to my email privately, and I
    reply to your reply privately, then it's not OK for you to
    subsequently reply and CC: a public mailing list.

2:  PLEASE DON'T TOP-POST.

--kevin
--
Kevin D. Clark / Cetacean Networks / Portsmouth, N.H. (USA)
cetaceannetworks.com!kclark (GnuPG ID: B280F24E)