[gnhlug-announce] SLUG "problem solution" meeting Monday 7/14 7pm at UNH in Morse 301

Robert Anderson rea at q.sr.unh.edu
Wed Jul 9 14:37:25 EDT 2003

This months we are holding another problem solution session.

The next meeting is Monday 7/14/2003 at 7pm in Morse Hall room 301.
See the webpage http://slug.gnhlug.org for directions.

This months meeting is one of the Problem Solution sessions.  The
intent is for meeting goers to bring up problems that that are having
and let the group help them towards a solution.  We haven't had much
success with this format yet, but we'll give it a few more months
before trying something else.

I'm still open for problems to work on.  If you have something you've
been trying to do and would like to have the groups input, please send
an email or be ready to explain your problem to the group on Monday.

We had some questions last time about Makefiles.  I found recently
that they have evolved from the period when my Makefile expertise
peaked 5 or 6 years ago.  If we don't have anything specific from the
group to go over I'll show what I've been working on recently, with a
focus on the Makefiles.

I've been attempting to create a cross compiler environment to
develope code for Familiar Linux running on the iPAQ.  My intent is to
use the Familiar Linux IPKG package management format to handle the
installation and versioning of all the developement modules that are
needed to maintain a usefull cross compiler.  As part of this work
I've had to create cross compiled versions of a number of developement
libraries, using there configure and makefile environments.

Next months meeting is already planned.  The best part, for all of us,
is that I will not be presenting it!  Here's the information for the
8/11 meeting.

When and Where: August 11th in Morse Hall 301
Presenter: David J Berube (http://www.berubeconsulting.com)
Title: Making Money With Open Source Software

Free (as in speech) doesn't mean without profit; you can make
money off open source software. Superior quality, open software
can provide a huge advantage over commercial software with a
hefty license fees, and businesses are beginning to realise that. By
using open source software to provide more value to businesses,
and charging accordingly, it's possible for open source enthusiasts
to make a bundle while still contributing to the open source
community.

 Robert E. Anderson  		 	email: rea at sr.unh.edu
 Systems Programmer			phone: (603) 862-3489
 UNH Research Computing Center		  fax: (603) 862-1761