[gnhlug-announce] SLUG "problem solution" meeting Monday 7/14 7pm at UNH in Morse 301

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Thu Jul 10 10:47:05 EDT 2003

In a message dated: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 10:16:09 EDT
Bob Bell said:

>On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 06:56:51AM -0400, Brian <lists at karas.net> wrote:
>> I think many sites consider downtime to just be part of life for
>> server moves, upgrades, etc.  Even "name brand" sites like ebay and
>> Amazon have maintenance windows regularly where the site is pretty
>> much offline an unavailable.
>
>    That's pretty stupid if they do.  Clustering technologies should let
>you avoid this.

True, but there's really not a viable clustering solution on Linux/BSD
which many of these sites are built on.

MCL almost had a viable solution, but was very immature, and needed a
*lot* of work.  I don't know what's happened since they went away, or
if RH has enhanced Kimberlite enough to make it a viable option to
TrueClusters, etc.  I suppose it's possible :)
--

Seeya,
Paul