Errr! DSL is here, DSL is gone.

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Mon Jul 14 12:00:44 EDT 2003

Okay,

I don't know who is playing what games, but I wouldn't be surprised
if Verizon is behind this!

2 weeks ago I checked with Earthlink, DSL Reports, and Verizon.  All
3 locations stated I was within 9000 feet of the CO, and could order
DSL service.  This week, as I'm about to order, I went and checked,
and only Verizon is stating that I'm eligible for DSL.

Earthlink says that the problem seems to be that I can only get DSL
at 384/384, and that they don't offer that speed. DLS Reports

  Tom> If you're paranoid about security, those firewalls have some
  Tom> faults.

True.  My problem is I'm lazy, and I don't have a lot of time.  I
really haven't kept up with the changes from ipfwadm->ipchains->
iptables, and I just don't really care that much about learning that
stuff :)  I will if I have to, but if I can buy a small box for $100,
I'd rather do that.  I'm not overly paranoid, and I don't have too
much on my systems that I'm too worried about.  Though, I suppose
spending a few hours now to do it right is better than spending weeks
later trying to recover :)

  Tom> t's nice having the FW deal with PPPoE though.

But can't you just build a kernel with PPPoE support?

  Tom> They use little power and have no fan.  No disk so you don't
  Tom> need to worry about a UPS when power goes out.  Tiny so you can
  Tom> set them up in a corner.

All the features I'm looking for :)

  Tom> A wireless fw/router in front of a real firewall would be a
  Tom> cool setup. ~ I'm considering moving my wireless to a DMZ so
  Tom> I can have more control over who gets an address.  I'm not so
  Tom> paranoid at home.

Yeah, I've considered that too.  I may go that way.

  Tom> When we go wireless at work, I'll learn *alot* about this kind
  Tom> of thing :-)

Cool.  Teach me :)
--

Seeya,