DSL firewall/router solutions?

bscott at ntisys.com bscott at ntisys.com
Mon Jul 14 22:07:20 EDT 2003

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003, at 9:36pm, jason at sigio.com wrote:
> If you go with Verizon, you may have to also use PPPOE (PPP over
> ethernet).

  Verizon uses PPPoE on all their dynamic IP address DSL accounts.  Their
"registration" process involves running a software suite on a Windows-based
PC.  It installs all sorts of crap you don't want, and then forces you
through a web-page sign-up script.  The usual drill -- it could all be done
in an OS-neutral, platform-independent manner, without installing anything,
but that would be too easy.

  Once you are "registered" and have a username and password, you never need
to use their software again.  I recommend burning it.  It's a great symbolic
gesture.[1]

  For Verizon's "premium" "business-class" service with the static IP
address, you just run plain old IP-over-Ethernet, the way God intended IP to
work.  :)  Note that actually getting a static IP address can be difficult.
Not because the technology is unavailable, but because most of their sales
force can't even spell "DSL".  Once installed, though, no registration is
required.  Simply plug-in, ARP, and go.

Footnote
--------
[1] Credit to Linus Torvalds.