Walmart.com sells Microtel PC with SuSE Linux software

Erik Price eprice at ptc.com
Tue Jul 15 15:03:22 EDT 2003

Tom Buskey wrote:

> s/Walmart/McDonald's/g
> s/Walmart/K-Mart/g
> s/Walmart/Target/g
> s/Walmart/Pizza Hut/g
> s/Walmart/Dunkin Donuts/g
> s/Walmart/Krispy Kreme/g
> s/Walmart/Home Depot/g
> s/Walmart/Lowe's/g
> s/Walmart/etc..
>
> What I don't get is people going after Walmart because they put local
> business out but not the others?  Ok, Starbucks gets it too.

I'd argue that McDonald's and Nike are both frequently targetted by a
lot of anti-corporate activism, mainly b/c Walmart, McD, and Nike are
such high-profile examples of corporate America that they have become icons.

> My hometown got a Walmart awhile ago.  Local people that work there get
> paid more & better benes then at K-Mart up the street....

Yes, but probably not better than the pay or benefits they were
receiving ~5-15 years ago at the factory down the street before the
distribution capabilities of companies like Wal-Mart and Nike made it
more profitable to manufacture goods overseas than here in America.

Erik