Graphics blips

bscott at ntisys.com bscott at ntisys.com
Wed Jul 16 10:32:28 EDT 2003

On 16 Jul 2003, at 10:12am, colet at code-energy.com wrote:
>> <grin> Maybe, but this one's a PEBKAC issue...  ;-)
>
> Is this strictly true?  My understanding is that the problem is that
> browsers are "supposed to" ignore newlines, yet none seem to ...

  HTML user agents (UAs, of which "browsers" are a subset) are not supposed
to *ignore* newlines.  Newlines should be treated like all other whitespace
-- used as word separators, basically.  Most UAs present hyperlinks colored
and underlined (since that's what NCSA Mosiac did).  As a side effect of
those two facts, an image with surrounding whitespace shows up with an
underline.  The UA is rendering the underline between elements.  It is too
dumb to know that, with an image, the underline is pointless and/or looks
ugly.  Of course, one could make a valid argument that, since the UA's job
is chiefly presentation, and this particular aspect of the presentation
looks ugly, that it should be improved.

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>