Looking for a freeware ecomm solution to run on Linux

Dan Coutu coutu at snowy-owl.com
Wed Jul 16 11:36:43 EDT 2003

The best solution I've found yet is osCommerce. It's a SourceForge
project, written in PHP, and using MySQL for the DB. It looks like it
will scale well and is pretty flexible.

If you've never setup an ecommerce site before you will definitely want
to learn as much as you can about the ins and outs of ecommerce as you
tackle this. At first glance it seems simple but the reality is that
there are a lot of little gotchas that will rear their ugly heads over
and over. I've been doing ecommerce stuff since 1997 and have the
bruises, war stories, and headaches to prove it! :-)

Installing osCommerce is  pretty easy, just do *not* install the admin
files underneath the catalog files like so many other people do. That's
just asking for a cracking. Check out SourceForge for more details.